Thursday, December 2, 2010

A Day in the Life

"I don't know how you do it..."

I hear that a lot! And I realize that the comment has very little to do with me, and more to do with the person saying it... but when you hear something so often, it really can make you wonder if there is something to it. I "do it" one minute, one day, one week, one crisis, one blessing at a time - just like we all do.

I did think it might be fun, or insightful, to share with you one of my more .... let's say "exciting" days. (and this is just how I do it... don't judge, just observe)

It was Tuesday. I obeyed my alarm (after only one snooze) and was up by 6:30. I came downstairs, turn on the heat and the tea kettle. Let the dog out. Scoop ground coffee into my single serve french press, pour on the boiling water. Check FB on the iTouch for 3-4 minutes while the coffee steeps. Grab my mug and my 'Bible Study Bag' and head to the couch.

I spent some time in Ephesians and in Exodus. Exodus 4:11-12
"Who makes mouths?" the LORD asked him. "Who makes people so they can speak or not speak, hear or not hear, see or not see? Is it not I, the LORD? Now go, and do as I have told you. I will help you speak well, and I will tell you what to say."

God knew... I would need to trust him beyond my own strengths for this day. "Lord, it's yours, get me through it!"

Micah woke up, so I brought him downstairs and let him play while I continued to read and pray. Around 7, I heard someone coming down stairs, and a faint "mommmmie...." It was Zak, and he was throwing up, on the stairs. I hoped up to grab him some kind of bucket, having to jump over the baby gate to get it to him on the landing. As I came back down the stairs, I see that Micah has curiously picked up my coffee mug and slowly tipped it, watching the 1/2 cup worth of coffee pour out and on to the carpet changing the color. I can only imagine what his inquisitive mind was thinking as this transpired, but my thoughts were "Oh Jesus... get me through this!"

I grabbed Micah and ran up stairs to give him to Shane, who was about to get up, and was stopped by Noah who took him down stairs. I was then torn between cleaning up two separate messes, getting Shane his breakfast and lunch and out the door for his car pool, and getting some kind of breakfast ready for the kids! It is not my MO to stay cheerful or even calm in these kinds of situations, and yet, I did... just one minute at a time.

I was also faced with a carpet cleaner that was almost out of shampoo. But thanks to the world of FaceBook and a very sweet friend who lives near by, I was gifted a full bottle and a half a bottle, delivered to my door. Answer to prayer.

The carpets have been needing a good cleaning for a while now. Why not! So furniture was moved and I started. Just the dining room for now, that's the worst of it.

There wasn't much hope of getting through a normal day of homeschooling at this point, but my diligent 3rd grader honored me and did as much as he could independently and patiently waited for a break to get my attention for that which he needed my help.

The TV was on a good part of the day. Normally it wouldn't be, but when there is a sick kid on the couch, all bets are off. And apparently, that goes for diet too. Normally, with as many mouths of varying tastes and preferences as we have, I insist on dictating snacks and meals and we work with in a schedule. But not Tuesday. About 10:30, Zak had started to feel better and asked for a cup of cereal. And Maggy and Hannah wanted a cup too. And then they wanted another. And then they were serving themselves while I was busy cleaning the carpets. I'm not really all together sure how much they actually ate. When it came to "lunch time"... there wasn't much point. "You guys let me know if you are hungry, kay?"

The carpets were finally done around 2. Babies went down for a second nap, after being changed. They were a little wet from rolling around on wet carpets. Maggy and Zak got a story and went to bed. I sat in the living room and worked with Noah and Hannah on their school subjects that required my help.

4:30, I finally got to shower. But by this point, there didn't seem much reason to get dressed. So I got out of the shower and put on a fresh pair of pajamas. I made sure to point out to my husband that it was IN FACT a different pair than I was wearing that morning.

I whipped up a batch of baked mac n cheese with broccoli and bbq kilbasa on the side. It was really strange... it was ready to eat by 5:30. WE NEVER eat that early!

Shouldn't I be stressing out? Shouldn't I be falling apart?

I wasn't!

I knew... Jesus came through. The Holy Spirit gave me the strength and provided for me all I needed for this crazy day. Yeah!

I even got a good dose of joyful moments in my day that brought a good smile to my face... this was a couple of them.

Please don't take me too seriously. This was, in fact, a real day in the life. But it wasn't a normal one by any means. I hope you are laughing with me, or even at me....

1 comment:

  1. I loved reading this. Mostly because you TOTALLY challenged me, AND because I had a similar day. I was crying and on my knees BEFORE 8:00 AM!!! And the Lord totally took control of the day, and it was obvious to me that He got me through.

    I've gotten "I don't know how you do it" a couple of times and I only have 3... ohhhh, silly people :)

    Thanks for sharing your day, Sarah. Excellent reminder for me to give the day to Jesus right off the bat!


Tell me about it....