Thursday, April 10, 2008

Need to serve


So American Idol does the "Idol Gives Back" - we could debate about how sincere the Godly inspiration might have been, or maybe their motives weren't pure, but... I believe that if it weren't for all of us having inherited the ability to give from our creator, we would be only moved by our twisted and impure motives. But I praise God, we have inherited his ability to give.... and as we abide (hang out) with him more, our desire to serve should grow!

Jam 1:27 Pure and lasting religion in the sight of God our Father means that we must care for orphans and widows in their troubles, and refuse to let the world corrupt us.

So now what has been causing my heart to be stirred to action....each dollar I spend, I try to evaluate, will this purchase have eternal consequences. And each dollar spent does! if I spend it on myself (which I still do - I'm no martyr! No where close to sainthood, for sure!) I may be missing an opportunity to bless someone who needs it more than I do. What about my time? Each hour I spend doing something that I feel I am "entitled" to, could be spent serving someone else. There are always people who need someone to step up and lend a hand - they are not hard to find.

A friend told me that they have been teaching their children "It's good to do hard things." I'm buying into that! I want to teach my children to serve, even when it isn't an easy thing to do. I imagine Noah and Hannah stacking cans of food at a benevolence center, with smiles and laughter.... We need to do that. I'm looking into it, where can we serve??

Feel like sharing? Tell me about your favorite experience serving someone else? Does your faith change when you serve? Any suggestions of places needing volunteers?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me about it....