Tuesday, September 1, 2009

New School Year

I wish I had my act together enough to have taken some pictures this morning of our first day of the new school year. There were some very cute scenes around our house today. I love the buzz of everyone wanting to "do" school. It is one of my greatest desires as a mother and a teacher that my children will always have a love to learn.

My goals this year are somewhat more ambitious than past years, but I also planned for flexibility around my own physical limitations with the end of the pregnancy and the birth and introduction of two new baby brothers. A very wise women once told me "Flexibility is great, but you need to have something to flex from."

So I set about planning for this year. I even got a set of 6 weeks worth of detailed lesson plans written out. Just enough to see how the plan works and hopefully keep us on track until the babies arrive. I am also hopeful that there will be enough self driven work to keep Noah and Hannah on task for the few weeks that we'll need to take off.

At the end of day one, I am not disappointed or surprised. It basically went as expected. A few challenges that slowed us along the way. And we didn't quite get through the whole reading lesson and never got to History, as hoped. But I am consoled... a sweet friend of mine at church, who is also a homeschooling mama with 4 kids, who are a bit older than mine told me that she was starting school this week with 1/2 days for the first 3 days as trial runs.... and now I know why! She's so wise!

So maybe the remainder of the week will be short of History, Science and Typing until we can get into a swing and we'll pick them up next week. But as I said on the school blog, we'd always appreciate your prayers for our school year. I anticipate our best year yet!

1 comment:

  1. Kudos to you Sarah! What a great plan you have set in place!

    I have been scrambling, trying to figure out what we are doing but struggling. The fact that my curriculum box is missing has really thrown me for a loop!

    I suppose I am needing to learn how to relaaaaaaax. ;-D

    I pray that you do have your best year yet!

    ReplyDelete

Tell me about it....