Thursday, October 9, 2008

Amber, Gold and Crimson

There is something cozy and comforting about the colors of fall.

So, I have followed suit as my graceful and fabulous friends have shared their changes in seasonal decor.

To be honest, at first I thought it a little silly or frivolous to go and change stuff in the house just because the calendar ticks on. This is not a criticism of them, actually, more of a confession of my own shortsightedness. I am also not one who thinks on decor often. I can appreciate the beauty that others execute, but really... my husband usually does most of the decorating in our house.
Maybe THAT'S why there's a 6 foot Homer Simpson in my stairwell....

I have mentioned in previous posts about our front window box, which does not reach enough natural light or water to grow anything well. My wonderful neighbor, Zelta, as a surprise one day, came and created a beautiful artificial arrangement in the failing window box, appropriate to the season. She returned a few months later and updated for Christmas. What a blessing she is to me! I have since taken on updating the box for the season, albeit often late. Here is this season's display. Most of the flowers come from the Dollar Tree. I especially like the little gourds, you may have to click on the photo to see.


Well, that got me started with the decorating bug.

I updated the side board with a table cloth, place mat and decorative pumpkins.

Before

After

I also added some gourds and a seasonal towel in my bathroom.

These little changes have actually changed me as well. I see them and find myself grateful for the beauty of creation. So thank you, my neighbor and my fabulous and my graceful friends for unknowingly encouraging me to Praise of the Great God of Heaven and earth!


Psalm 65 8, 11-12
Those who live at the ends of the earth stand in awe of your wonders. From where the sun rises to where it sets, you inspire shouts of joy. You crown the year with a bountiful harvest; even the hard pathways overflow with abundance. The wilderness becomes a lush pasture, and the hillsides blossom with joy. The meadows are clothed with flocks of sheep, and the valleys are carpeted with grain. They all shout and sing for joy!


12 comments:

  1. Your home and blog look great!
    I may have helped inspire the joy of decorating, but thank YOU for inspiring me to relate it to scripture. You're always good at that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dollar Store. YEA!
    That you put such an appropriate and beautiful Scripture with this makes me think I should tear down the Minnesota Vikings poster here and do some decorating myself.
    ". . . You crown the year with a bountiful harvest; even the hard pathways overflow with abundance. The wilderness becomes a lush pasture, and the hillsides blossom with joy...." (Ps. 65)
    Even the blog-backgrounds rejoice in the Harvest! Your's is very nice.
    Happy Autumn!
    -esthermay

    ReplyDelete
  3. My fall post is coming too. Haven't taken pictures yet.Deena is hosting a fall open house if you want to see many others (www.deenasstory.blogspot.com) You can also link your post to her blog for it. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. YIPPEE..
    I am so glad you'll join us..thanks for signing Up
    I need to post a picture of the journal prize..
    will do soon.smiles, Deena

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful decorations!
    You asked about the jewelry box and if I was taking orders for Christmas... I would be able to do that jewelry box (custom for you of course) for $40.00 (cost of supplies and time) They are pretty time consuming, that is why I would charge $40.00. We could talk about different colors (maybe to match their room?) or, if you like the black, white and red, we could do that too. I have all the product. You could just email me the pictures (up to 4) and we could go from there? I would post it on Etsy just like the album. Let me know. No rush and no pressure. Thanks for the interest and kind words! Will get your album to you Sunday :)
    ~Chelsea
    http://hapemome.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Stopped on over from Brenna's blog. Such cute fall decorations!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey the 6ft Homer will scare any one who attempts to come up the stairs at night (even you) It's cheaper than a brinks home security system. It also reminds me that even at our worst we are still very lovable ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. oh and all my 'attempts' at creative decorating come from my mom, SHE is so awesome at it. I only got a 10th of her skillz.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Tee Hee! I love that Homer is standing watch in your house. It sure gives one a glimpse into the fun that lives in your house!

    And great job on the decor, especially on keeping it cheap! Rock on!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love window boxes. They are a buffer to the world beyond.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your new decorations are so pretty Sarah. It's funny we were the same way, my husband did most of the decorating. My family room was filled with John Deere stuff and we had two cow sculls in there. I have since changed as you have. I'm nervous about it. I feel like I haven't a creative bone in my body, but I am trying. Hugs, Kathi

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful Fall Open House!
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete

Tell me about it....