Wednesday, May 7, 2008

That doubt people have...

So, there was a really cool post on Internet Cafe Devotions yesterday, responding to Oprah's comment about why she couldn't believe in God.... "how could a kind and loving God allow so much pain and hurt..." People don't understand all of Shakespeare, but they still respect him.... why is it if we don't understand God we think he's not valid or relevant. ... hello - God created Shakespeare....

Anyway - Read it

Along those same lines.... our special Grandma Pauline, sent this to us today... cute, and same sort of idea. Nothing original from me today, just good thoughts.
A man went to a barbershop to have his hair cut and his beard trimmed. As the barber began to work, they began to have a good conversation. Eventually the conversation touched on the subject of God and the barber said

"I don't believe that God exists."

"Why do you say that?" asked the customer.

"Well, you just have to go out on the street to realize that God doesn't exist. Tell me, if God exists, would there be so many sick people? Would there be abandoned children? If God existed, there would be neither suffering nor pain. I can't imagine a loving God who would allow all of these things."

The customer thought for a moment, but didn't respond because he didn't want to start an argument. The barber finished his job and the customer left the shop. Just after he left the barbershop, he saw a man in the street with long, stringy, dirty hair and an untrimmed beard. He looked dirty and unkempt.

The customer turned back and re-entered the barbershop and said

"You know what? Barbers do not exist. "

"How can you say that?" the barber was surprised. "I am here and I am a barber, and I just worked on you!"

The customer responded, "No! Barbers don't exist because if they did, there would be no people with dirty long hair and untrimmed beards, like that man outside. "

"Ah, but barbers DO exists. That's what happens when people don't come to me."

"Exactly!" Affirmed the customer. "That's the point! God does exist. That's what happens when people don't go to Him and don't look to Him for help. "

I was inspired by my friend Julie C today when we talked about what methods we use to educating our kids. She told me that Abraham Lincoln only used the Bible to learn. It was all he had, no fancy curriculum there. OK, maybe that might sound archaic, but he became arguably the most significant president in the history of the US. What is really critical that we teach our kids? Is it arithmetic, social studies, literature? All these subjects have value, but for Julie, "more than anything else, I want my kids to know Jesus, and know that Jesus is the most important thing to know."

5 comments:

  1. This is so good!! Thank you. I'll be back and I will check that site. Hugs, Kathi

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, a great reminder! I remember a while back when I was really putting the pressure on Grace to read and she was getting so frustrated, as was I. I had to take a whole summer off from making her sound words out, and only read for fun to her, trying to undo what I had begun in her--a dislike of learning.

    I had a revelation about it all and God helped me to remember that character was more important than book smarts! What if she was a brilliant girl, but hated her sisters, was rude and disobedient?!

    Our curriculum after that became The Fruits of the Spirit and The Armor of God, etc.

    I always need reminding though, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful post and great reminder about "why" we do it all! Teaching our kids to hunger and thirst for God...

    Julie C is a wise friend:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. oooh, good words.

    ReplyDelete
  5. that story is so good and and even though it is just a story (maybe its true?) it also shows how God knows how to answers everyones "God questions" with the appropriate answer

    ReplyDelete

Tell me about it....