Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Tonight's dinner - Easy Shepherd's Pie

I tried this recipe a year or so ago after running across it on RR's 30 minute meals on food network.

My motivation tonight was use up some stuff in the fridge that was pushing it's left-over limit, but keep dinner easy. I altered the original recipe... this is a really quick and easy meal, about 20 minutes from prep to oven, cleaned up all the dishes and after we ate, there was only one Corningwear dish that went straight to he dishwasher. Here's what I did:


2 tbs oil
1/2 white onion, sliced
2 cloves garlic, diced
2 green onions
1 carrot sliced
1/2 lb ground Italian sausage
1/2 lb lean ground beef
1/2 cup left over spaghetti sauce
1 medium sweet potato, peeled and sliced
1 1/2 cups left over mashed potatoes
1/4 c butter
1/2 c sour cream
1 tbs ranch mix
1 cup frozen peas
1 egg yoke
1/2 c warm water.

Start sweet potato to boil in water. Cook the onion, garlic, green onion, carrot in oil till tender. Add meat, cook through. Add spaghetti sauce. Removed from heat.

When sweet potatoes are tender, drain water, add butter, ranch mix and sour cream. Mash. Add left over mashed potatoes and combine.

Pour meat into casserole dish. Spread peas across top of meat. Spread potatoes on top. Beat egg yoke, add warm water and whisk to combine. Pour over top of potatoes (makes crunchy top).

Put under preheated broiler for 3-4 minutes until top gets crispy.

Served with a garden salad and a glass of milk ;-)

2 comments:

  1. Wow, I'm impressed. You bring on a whole new meaning to having leftovers for dinner.
    Wonder if RR would be impressed, too!? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum! I don't know why I've never thought to make shepherd's pie yet. Der....

    Maybe I will!

    ~Liz

    ReplyDelete

Tell me about it....